May 11, 2008

Well it’s been about a year and over a year so here we go (Part 1)

Just over a year ago I found out that there was no longer going to be such a things as Soma Community church in Denton, Tx (May 5th, in college station playing the aggies, to be exact). For those of you who do not know it, was a church plant that we were going to do with the village until we got the Denton campus (there is lot of background to this too). So, at this point, I was about to retire from baseball, after 17 years, and move to a church camp to work, with no other plans. I had never been to a church camp for more than an hour out of my entire life, now I was going to live and work there, Camp Copass was my home. I literally finished baseball and head to Floydayda, TX for a ropes certification training course the next day, suck, and moved into camp copass. Last summer was the first time that I have actually really ever ‘done’ church. I loved getting involved and actually using the gifts I have been given for the good of the body I appreciate so much, the Village. Also, I was taking 6 hours of class and working at camp copass from about 6:30 am until 8.30 pm every day. What a beating! The result however, is that I like to do dishes and got to listen to hundreds of sermons, at least 3 per day, five days a week. I learned so much and really heard my calling through them. God really spoke to me during a sermon on 1 Cor and spiritual gifts, as well as a sermon on preaching and teaching. I had never wanted to preach, because of the negative connotation in the word, but now, I do not see it that way but as worship for me in getting to study about the Almighty and talk about his gloriousness (I now create words as well). I just see this as my part, in redeeming the world back to Jesus, and using the gifts and weaknesses that I have been given for his glory, and the moving of and transformation of men and women into the image of the Perfect.



this will be updated as i think and remember more... everyday will be another part

4 comments:

Jacob Vanhorn said...

Ah, so it was a year ago. A lot has changed and I look forward to reading how God has shaped you in this past year. n identity I remember when you almost left the Village because you lived to far away. I am glad you stayed brother.

rob. said...

look at you and your frequent blogging.

oh what the Lord has done in a year... *sigh*

Anonymous said...

well i gave in a long time ago but realized how un user friendly blogspot was and i still don't like it... keep reading the xanga because it will have extras for the loyal readers - hehe

it is not about me said...

dude, i can totally see you as a preacher. it's so frustrating, but ultimately beautiful, how God never goes along with our plans. love you, bro.